Banana and Blueberry Scones
Makes 8-9 small scones
What to find:
225g self raising flour
1 level teaspoon baking powder
25g cold butter
One ripe banana
60 ml milk (Approximately)
Milk to glaze
What to do:
Find your cooking utensils and ingredients and put the oven on 200C (fan-assisted) Gas 7
1. Prepare a baking tray – by lightly greasing it.
2. Use a sieve to sift the flour and baking powder into a large bowl.
3. Cut the cold butter into small pieces and then rub the butter into the flour, using the tips of your fingertips. The mixture should look like breadcrumbs.
4. Peel the banana, put it in a bowl and mash it with a fork. Add the mashed banana to the mixture.
5. Add enough milk to make soft dough; you may not need all of the milk. Add the blueberries; use your hands to mix the dough together. Wash your hands.
6. Sift some flour onto a working surface and press the dough into a circle that is 2cm high.
7. Use a small cutter to cut out 8-9 small scones. You may have to knead the leftovers together again, to make the last few scones.
8. Place the scones onto the prepared baking tray. Use a pastry brush to brush the tops of the scones with a little milk.
9. Put the scones into the hot oven. Bake for 10-12 minutes until the scones are brown and well risen.
10. Place the scones on a wire rack to cool.
Cut the cold scones in half and spread them with soft butter.
An adult should supervise at all times.
Eat on the day that you make them or freeze and enjoy them another day.
Use a larger cutter for bigger scones but remember that you will make less!
ALWAYS HAVE A GROWN-UP IN THE KITCHEN WHEN YOU COOK