This recipe comes with a no frills guarantee… Perfect Gingerbread. Low fuss, high moisture, delicate yet rich.
2 1/2 cups / 300 grams all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1 stick / 120 grams butter, softened
1/2 cup / 100 grams unrefined cane sugar
1 cup / 250 ml dark molasses
1 tablespoon honey
1 cup / 250 ml boiling water
2 teaspoons baking soda (not baking powder!)
2 eggs, lightly beaten
You will need:
A non-stick 8 inches or 20 cm square cake pan
2 large mixing bowls
1 small mixing bowl
A wooden spoon
An electric or hand whisk
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F / 180 degrees C / Gas Mark 4. Lightly grease the cake pan with butter.
2. Sift the flour, cinnamon, ginger and cloves into a bowl.
3. Beat the butter in the other mixing bowl with the wooden spoon until it’s creamy and smooth.
4. Add the sugar, molasses and honey and continue beating with the spoon until everything has blended.
5. In the small bowl, pour the boiling water onto the baking soda, then pour the frothy liquid into the sugary butter mixture, mixing well with the wooden spoon.
6. Add the flour mixture, and whisk with the electric or hand whisk.
7. Beat in the eggs.
8. Pour the runny cake batter into the pan and bake for about 50 minutes. The cake will be ready when a toothpick can be inserted and come out clean.
9. Take the gingerbread out of the oven to cool in the pan for about 5 minutes, then serve warm with vanilla ice cream.
10. Alternatively, turn the cake out onto a cooling rack, wrap it when cool, and serve at room temperature any time within a week of baking.
Please let us know what you think by leaving a comment...