10 Organic Reasons
(and there are many, many more!)
- Organic produce is not covered in a cocktail of poisonous chemicals. The average conventionally-grown apple has 20-30 artificial poisons on its skin, even after rinsing. Trust your instincts, and go organic!
- Fresh organic produce contains on average 50% more vitamins, minerals, enzymes and other micro-nutrients than intensively farmed produce. Science says that it’s good for you.
- Going organic is the only practical way to avoid eating genetically modified (GM) food. And when you buy organic food, you are showing your mistrust of genetically modified food in perhaps the most effective way – with your money.
- If you eat dairy or meat products, going organic has never been more essential to safeguard you and your family’s health. Intensively-reared dairy cows and farm animals are fed a dangerous cocktail of antibiotics, growth promoting drugs, anti-parasite drugs and many other medicines on a daily basis, whether they have an illness or not. These drugs are passed directly onto the consumers of their dairy produce or meat., which must be a contributing factor to meat-related diseases like coronaries and high blood pressure.
- About 99% of non-organic farm animals in the UK, and 100% of non-organic farm animals in the USA are now fed GM soya. And there has never been a reported case of BSE in organic cattle in the UK. Why risk eating badly raised meat – common sense says that organic is safe food.
- Organic produce simply tastes so much better. Fruit and vegetables full of juice and flavour, and so many different varieties to try! There are about 100 different kinds of organic potatoes in production, and that’s just potatoes!
- Organic farms support and nurture our beautiful and diverse wildlife. Over the last thirty years, intensive farming in the UK has led to dramatic erosion of the soil, a fall of up to 70% of wild birds in some areas, the destruction of ancient hedgerows, and the near extinction of some of the most beautiful species of butterflies, frogs, grass-snakes and wild mammals. Organic farms nurture the whole environment, wherever you are.
- Organic food is not really more expensive than intensively farmed foods, as we pay for conventional foods through our taxes in the US and the UK. We spend billions every year cleaning up the mess that agrochemicals make to our natural water supply. In the US, the national food subsidizing program gives billions of taxpayers dollars directly to giant corporations like Monsanto. And the BSE crisis cost the UK £4billion. Go organic for a genuine more cost-effective future.
- Intensive farming can seriously damage farm workers’ health. There are much higher instances of cancer, respiratory problems and other major diseases in farm workers from non-organic farms. This is particularly true in developing countries, and for agrochemical farms growing cotton, but also applies to local family farmers in the US and UK. So go organic if you care about other people, wherever they are.
- And if you simply like the idea of your children and grandchildren being able to visit the countryside and play in the forests and fields just like we did when we were young, go organic for the sake of all of our futures.
Written by Ysanne Spevack. This feature remains Ysanne Spevack’s copyright, ask permission before reproducing this article, or any other content on this website. But, stay a while, look around, enjoy all the other great features on OrganicFoodee for free! Thanks for reading…