Butternut Squashes with New Potatoes and Pesto
by Fi Bird
- 2 butternut squashes
- 400g of small new Potatoes (scrubbed)
- Extra virgin olive oil
- One small jar of pesto (190g) or make your own using recipe below
- 1 tablespoon dry roasted pumpkin seeds
For Homemade Pesto
- 65g Parsley
- 50g Parmesan Cheese (grated)
- 2 Garlic Cloves
- 125ml Olive Oil
- Blend it all in a food processor. Takes less than two minutes.
Dry Roasted Pumpkin Seeds
Heat up a frying pan before putting the pumpkin seeds in it (no oil needed) and cook for two minutes; they should pop like popcorn and go nicely brown.
- Cut the butternuts in half lengthways and using a medium sized melon baller take six scoops out of each half.
- Put the four butternut squash halves onto a baking tray and drizzle with olive oil. Place in the oven for half an hour. Add the scoops of butternut squash, drizzled with a little extra olive oil, to the baking tray for the final 15 minutes of cooking time.
- Cut the new potatoes in half and boil them for 10 minutes. Drain well.
- Using the melon baller pull the cooked squash away from the skin but leave it inside the skin. Drizzle a dessertspoon of pesto over each squash half.
- Put the cooked squash balls into a bowl with the drained potatoes .Add the rest of the pesto to the potato and the squash balls. Evenly distribute the potato and butternut squash mixture on top of the four roasted squashes.
- Scatter the pumpkin seeds over the finished dishes.
ALWAYS HAVE A GROWN UP IN THE KITCHEN WHEN YOU COOK