Hot New Potato and Tuna salad
by Fi Bird
- 600g small new potatoes scrubbed
- 200g salad leaves
- 8 tomatoes (room temperature)
- Two tins tuna (130g drained)
- Garlic dressing (see recipe for younger children)
- Wash the potatoes and scrub them with an old tooth or nail brush.
- Put the clean potatoes onto a chopping board and using a blunt kitchen table, knife cut any bigger potatoes in half crossways.
- Boil the potatoes in water until they are just soft (15 minutes).Drain them very well.
- Wash the lettuce leaves well and dry off as much of the water as you can.
- Carefully open the tuna with a can opener and drain off the oil or brine through a sieve.
- Measure three tablespoons of the garlic dressing into a large salad bowl.
- Tear the washed salad leaves into pieces, which are the same size as your potatoes and put them into the salad bowl.
- Add the drained potatoes, tuna and washed tomatoes to the salad bowl.
- Use clean hands to carefully mix the salad together. The potatoes need to be cool enough for you to handle them.
Here are some tips for adventurous cooks
- Add toasted pumpkin seeds (look at Lili’s recipe for how to toast them).
- Cut up cucumber or add small baby carrots for a sweeter taste to your salad.
A grown up should supervise at all times and may need to do step three for younger children.
ALWAYS HAVE A GROWN UP IN THE KITCHEN WHEN YOU COOK